The Irish Medication Safety Network (IMSN), supported by the HSE Quality Improvement Division and the Rotunda Hospital, were delighted to host the National Medication Safety Summit on October 9th 2015 in the Pillar Room, Rotunda Hospital.
Participating speakers represented the US Institute for Safe Medication Practices (ISMP), the HSE Quality Improvement Division, the Irish Medication Safety Network, the State Claims Agency, the National Cancer Control Programme, the Health Information and Quality Authority (HIQA) and local medication safety experts. Speakers outlined the impact of medication errors and medication-related harm, the importance of minimising this harm and described effective harm reduction strategies.
The summit was designed for hospital and health service leaders, policy makers, regulators and other relevant state agencies, together with medication safety professionals. This was a significant opportunity for the Irish health service to advance patient safety.
Slides used by the presenters are available from the links below:
- Quality Improvement - Phillip Crowley (HSE QI)
- Medication safety - the Institute for Safe Medication Practices perspective Allen Vaida (ISMP)
- National Quality Assurance Review of Antimicrobial Stewardship in Public Acute Hospitals - Sean Egan (HIQA)
- Oncology medication safety reviews and improvements - Patricia Heckmann (NCCP)
- Medication Safety - the IMSN Approach - Prof. Brian Cleary (Rotunda Hospital/ IMSN)
- Improving Medication Safety - Ciara Kirke (HSE QI)
- Elements of a Comprehensive Medication Safety Programme - Allen Vaida (ISMP)
- A Medication Safety Programme in an Acute Teaching Hospital in Ireland ‒ Development of a Strategic Plan - Dr. Eileen Relihan (St. James's Hospital/ IMSN)
Please note that all presentations remain the intellectual property of the speakers and/or the Irish Medication Safety Network. Please contact us and cite this webpage if using any material from these slides.
Additionally, you may wish to browse some of the content on twitter from the event which is available at https://storify.com/IMSN_ie/national-medication-safety-summit-2015