The IMSN advocates for an integrated system that ensures that medicines information flows without restriction or distortion throughout the health system. Electronic transmission of prescriptions, enabled in 2020 by COVID-related legislative changes, is a step forward for medication safety, provided that potential risks are addressed. This document outlines the IMSN position on implementation of electronic transmission of prescriptions in the secondary care setting and related medication safety considerations. It will consider the common barriers and facilitators to implementation of this change in practice, with reference to similar systems in place in other countries.
- Lithium-Prescribing & Monitoring (Best Practice Guidelines and Patient Information)
- IMSN Medication Safety Bulletin & other published material
- Direct Oral Anticoagulants (DOACs) (Safety Alert & Patient Resources)
- Electronic transmission of prescriptions: IMSN Position Paper
- Methotrexate (once weekly): Safety alert