The IMSN advocates for an integrated system that ensures that medicines information flows without restriction or distortion throughout the health system. Electronic transmission of prescriptions, enabled in 2020 by COVID-related legislative changes, is a step forward for medication safety, provided that potential risks are addressed. This document outlines the IMSN position on implementation of electronic transmission of prescriptions in the secondary care setting and related medication safety considerations. It will consider the common barriers and facilitators to implementation of this change in practice, with reference to similar systems in place in other countries.
- IMSN Medication Safety Bulletin & other published material
- Building a Medication Safety Programme in a Hospital in Ireland: Fundamental Steps
- Lithium-Prescribing & Monitoring (Best Practice Guidelines and Patient Information)
- Direct Oral Anticoagulants (DOACs) (Safety Alert & Patient Resources)
- Electronic transmission of prescriptions: IMSN Position Paper