Medicines management is crucial in the care of the patient with Parkinson’s Disease (PD) when they are admitted to hospital, either electively or in an emergency. Missed or delayed doses can impair patients’ swallow, increase their risk of aspiration, render them immobile and prone to falls and fractures, and at worst, progress to Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome, which can lead to coma or death.
- IMSN Medication Safety Bulletin & other published material
- Building a Medication Safety Programme in a Hospital in Ireland: Fundamental Steps
- Lithium-Prescribing & Monitoring (Best Practice Guidelines and Patient Information)
- Direct Oral Anticoagulants (DOACs) (Safety Alert & Patient Resources)
- Electronic transmission of prescriptions: IMSN Position Paper