Whilst resources to support frontline staff in the stepwise implementation of medication safety programmes are available in other jurisdictions, few publications have addressed this issue in an Irish healthcare context. It was with the intention of addressing this gap that the IMSN compiled the following document in 2018 which outlines the building blocks for the design of a medication safety programme based on the first-hand experience accrued by Medication Safety Officers in hospitals in Ireland over the past several years. Our hope is that healthcare staff will use this guide to support them in the practical implementation of the HIQA medication safety recommendations and in establishing best practice in their respective organisations. This document has been reviewed and updated in line with best practice in 2023, and is currently on it’s second version.
- IMSN Medication Safety Bulletin & other published material
- Building a Medication Safety Programme in a Hospital in Ireland: Fundamental Steps
- Lithium-Prescribing & Monitoring (Best Practice Guidelines and Patient Information)
- Direct Oral Anticoagulants (DOACs) (Safety Alert & Patient Resources)
- Electronic transmission of prescriptions: IMSN Position Paper